We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Spinach stuffed mushrooms are a delightful appetizer to serve during the holidays. About 10 years ago, I served a variation of this recipe at our family table at Christmas dinner, and it got rave reviews. Even Emma remembers having this so many years ago.
This appetizer is wonderful for any cheese lover, as it incorporates creamy ricotta with Asiago. Water chestnuts and Georgia pecans give a nice crunch to each bite. The cooked spinach gives the stuffed mushrooms a lovely color and extra vitamins. To heighten the flavor, melted butter is brushed over the mushroom caps before stuffing them. Serve this appetizer warm with a sprinkle of Asiago cheese.
Spinach stuffed mushrooms are a delightful appetizer filled with two cheeses, water chestnuts, pecans, spices and spinach.
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Asiago cheese, grated (reserve some for garnish)
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 24 baby bella mushrooms
- In a small saucepan, cook the spinach in 4 tablespoons of boiling water. Drain, squeeze until dry, then chop.
- Grate the Asiago cheese. Finely chop the water chestnuts and pecans.
- In a medium bowl, add one egg to the ricotta. Stir well. Mix in the spinach, Asiago cheese, water chestnuts, pecans, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Rinse the mushrooms and remove the stems. Keep the stems for another use.
- Brush the melted butter on the inside of the the mushroom caps. Stuff with the spinach filling.
- Place on a lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Serve warm. Garnish with a sprinkle of Asiago cheese.
- To use up your mushroom stems and leftover filling, butter two ramekins. Place the mushroom stems in first, then top it off with the leftover spinach mixture. Bake in the oven with the other stuffed mushroom caps.
- The filling for this appetizer can be made the day before. Assemble and bake the mushrooms just before serving.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy stuffed mushrooms, stuffed mushrooms vegetarian