Spinach apple salad is a healthy recipe you can make this fall for your clean eating goals. It uses a warm dressing of balsamic vinegar that coats the sliced apples. Sprinkle toasted almonds, feta, red onions and dried cranberries over the spinach and toss. It’s easy vegetarian food that is wonderful for parties or for weight loss.
For the Salad
- 8 ounces fresh spinach (226g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15 ml)
- 2 medium Macintosh apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (24g)
For the Topping
- 2 tablespoons almonds, sliced and toasted (14g)
- 1 tablespoon butter (15g)
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries (48g)
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese, crumbled
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the sliced almonds, and stir continuously until they are browned and smell toasty. Spoon the nuts into a small bowl to use later.
- Put the fresh spinach in a large mixing bowl, and add the sliced red onion.
- Wash, core, and thinly slice two apples. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet, then add the sliced apples and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk the brown sugar and two kinds of vinegar together in a small bowl, then pour into the skillet with the fried apples. Use a spatula to get all the sugar out of the bowl. Gently turn the apples over, trying to coat each apple with the vinaigrette. Turn the heat down to medium and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Pour the warm vinaigrette and apples over the fresh spinach and toss to combine.
- Add red onion, toasted almonds, dried cranberries and crumbled feta, and toss gently. Serve immediately.
- Pour the warm vinaigrette only on the spinach you will be using right away, otherwise the spinach won’t be as crisp.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spinach apple salad balsamic vinegar, spinach apple cranberry salad