Southern fried cabbage with bacon is a keto side dish that’s low carb and simple to make. Bacon is added to make this deep South soul food extra yummy. Reap the health benefits of eating low calorie cabbage with your meals. Enjoy eating this country cooking comfort food with your family tonight.
- 6 slices thick sliced hickory-smoked bacon (57g)
- 11 cups chopped green cabbage, from one medium cabbage (1kg)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (140g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the bacon in a large cast iron skillet over medium to medium-low heat. Use a fork to flip it over, then drain on paper towels. Once cooled, cut into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Pour all the bacon fat into a small bowl. Reserve two tablespoons of grease, then put the bowl of bacon grease in the fridge to use for another recipe.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the skillet over medium high heat. Saute the onion for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, roughly one minute.
- Add a handful or two of chopped cabbage and mix it in well with the onion and garlic.
- Sprinkle on the caraway and celery seed and cook the spices for 30 seconds to a minute, while constantly stirring over medium high heat.
- Turn the heat to medium low, and add the chopped cabbage a little at a time. Stir until the onion-garlic mixture is well incorporated. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir well.
- Reserve some of the bacon for garnish. Once it is done, stir the most of the bacon into the cabbage. Transfer the fried cabbage into a serving bowl and sprinkle the reserved bacon on top. Serve immediately while it is still hot.
- If you want more texture, cook it for less time, and taste test as you go.
- Chop up a head of fresh cabbage just before using. Don’t be tempted to use the pre-shredded stuff.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stir fried cabbage recipes, fried cabbage with bacon