We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Southern fried cabbage with bacon is a Southern classic side dish and one of busy Baker’s favorites. Cabbage is so good for you. It’s low in calories, too, so if you’re trying to loose weight, eat plenty of it. This version of fried cabbage adds the vinegar, sugar, and salt at the very end, which helps control the salt content. I’ve used a white wine vinegar, but if you’re a apple cider vinegar fan, feel free to substitute.
My recipe is very mild, due to a houseful of girls who prefer the milder side, but if you like your cabbage a bit more spicy add red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce. If you are trying to eat healthier, you can replace the bacon fat with olive oil, and the salt can be added after the bacon bits are to reduce the sodium level.
Looking for more Southern side dishes? We’ve got you covered.
Black-Eyed Peas: a meaty side dish full of fiber and flavor.
Southern Collard Greens: smoked ham hocks flavor this addictive and nutritious side dish.
Sweet and Smoky Baked Beans: these baked beans are sure to be a hit at potlucks and BBQs.
The pleasure of a 5 star review for our Southern fried cabbage with bacon recipe would be greatly appreciated.Print
Southern fried cabbage with bacon is a keto side dish that’s low carb and simple to make. Bacon is added to make this deep South soul food extra yummy. Reap the health benefits of eating low calorie cabbage with your meals. Enjoy eating this country cooking comfort food with your family tonight.
- 6 slices thick sliced hickory-smoked bacon (57g)
- 11 cups green cabbage, chopped (from one medium head of cabbage) (1,000g)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (140g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large cast iron skillet, cook the bacon over medium to medium low heat. Use a fork to flip it over. Drain on paper towels. Once cooled, cut into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Pour all the bacon fat into a small bowl. Reserve two tablespoons of bacon grease then put the bowl of bacon grease in the fridge to use for another dish.
- In a large skillet, heat up 2 tablespoons of bacon grease over medium high heat. Saute the onion in the skillet for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, roughly one minute
- Add a handful or two of chopped cabbage and mix it in well with the onion and garlic.
- Sprinkle on the caraway and celery seed and cook the spices for 30 seconds to a minute while constantly stirring over medium high heat.
- Over medium low heat, add the chopped cabbage a little at a time. Stir until the onion-garlic mixture is well incorporated with the cabbage. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir well.
- Reserve some of the bacon for garnish. Once the cabbage is done, stir the rest of the bacon into the cabbage. Transfer the fried cabbage into a serving bowl and sprinkle the reserved bacon on top. Serve immediately while it is still hot.
- The pleasure of a 5 star review for our Southern fried cabbage with bacon recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stir fried cabbage recipes, fried cabbage with bacon