Southern cheese grits casserole is a simple breakfast idea, perfect for kids or for a crowd. This popular comfort food tastes amazing served in a bowl or on a plate, piping hot. This savory dish is guaranteed to please!
For the Casserole
- 5 1/3 cups water (1.26 liters)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups enriched quick grits (253g)
- 1/2 cup salted butter (115g)
- 1 cup smoked Gouda, grated (75g)
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated (70g)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk (295 ml)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (45g)
For the Garnish
- 1/2 cup spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated (45g)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan with butter.
- Pour the water into a 6-quart Dutch oven and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir 1/2 teaspoon of salt into the water.
- Once the water is boiling, gradually pour in the 2 1/2 cups of grits, stirring continuously, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook until it has become thick, roughly 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the butter, grated smoked Gouda, grated extra sharp cheddar, garlic powder, white pepper, and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Whisk thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Mix together the eggs and the milk in a separate bowl until blended, then pour the egg mixture into the pot. Stir until well combined. Add a bit more milk to thin it, if necessary.
- Spread it in the greased baking pan and sprinkle 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes. The casserole should be set and a nice golden brown on top.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped green onion and shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese. Serve while still warm.
- Grits needs salt, so it's better to taste and adjust the seasonings before it's baked.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked cheese grits casserole recipe, garlic cheese grits casserole