Best sour cream mashed potatoes is an easy homemade comfort food recipe. This make ahead Thanksgiving side dish are cheesy, creamy and buttery. Sour cream and chives make these potatoes so tasty, you’ll want seconds!
- 5 pounds russet potatoes (2.27 kg)
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream (310g)
- 7 tablespoons salted butter (100g)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (236 ml)
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (70g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives (7g)
- Wash and peel the potatoes, then cut them into bite-sized chunks and place in a large pot of water.
- Bring them to a boil, then simmer until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and rinse them with cold water.
- Dump them into the bowl of a stand mixer and stir on low speed until smooth.
- Add the buttermilk, butter, sour cream, cheese, salt, and pepper into the bowl, mixing until evenly blended.
- Beat them on medium, then high speed until smooth. If they are too thick, add more sour cream or buttermilk to get the desired consistency. Stir in most of the chopped chives.
- Garnish with cracked pepper, grated or shaved cheese, and the reserved chopped chives. Serve warm.
- Keep them warm in a crockpot set on “warm.” If you’re planning on keeping them in the crockpot for a few hours, add additional sour cream or buttermilk, as they will dry out from the heat of the slow cooker over time.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sour cream, cheese, homemade