Learn how to make this delicious fall coffee drink at home. Add a secret ingredient to the buttery butterscotch sauce to give a sophisticated flavor to this copycat Starbucks smoked butterscotch latte. It’s an easy and tasty way to start your morning!
For the Smoked Butterscotch Sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (115g)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed (200g)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (236 ml)
- 15–20 drops liquid smoke
For One Latte
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon smoked butterscotch sauce
- 1/2 cup strong coffee or espresso (118 ml)
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, for garnish (59 ml)
- Sprinkle of demerara sugar, for garnish
Making the Smoked Butterscotch Sauce
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, then whisk in the brown sugar until smooth.
- Once the mixture is boiling, turn down the heat to medium and whisk in the cream. Cook for 5-7 minutes, whisking occasionally to prevent the sauce from burning.
- Immediately pour the sauce into a large mason jar or bowl. Once the butterscotch has cooled some, mix in a few drops of liquid smoke. Taste and add more until a slightly smoky flavor is reached.
Making the Smoked Butterscotch Latte
- Pour the cream into a glass jar or bottle and tightly screw on the lid. Shake vigorously for about a minute until nearly doubled in size, then remove the lid and microwave for 20 seconds to warm the cream.
- Put 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of the smoked butterscotch sauce into a mug. Add the coffee, cream, and molasses, then stir until smooth.
- To garnish the latte, pour the whipping cream into a mixing bowl and beat with a handheld electric mixer or immersion blender until the cream is airy, but still pourable. Make sure the surface of the coffee isn’t swirling from being stirred, then carefully pour the cream over the back of a spoon. The cream should float on top.
- Sprinkle a little demerara sugar over the cream and serve immediately.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American