You owe it to yourself to try this slow cooker pulled pork recipe. It’s so easy and healthy–just rub on the homemade seasoning, add some aromatics, and pour on some liquids. The perfect dinner idea for a crowd at your next summer BBQ. Pile it on tacos, sandwiches, sliders, or serve it with coleslaw. It’s a classic!
For the Rub
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
For the Meat
- 7 pound pork shoulder roast (Boston butt), boneless
For the Aromatics
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
For the Liquids
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Stir together the rub mixture spices in a medium bowl.
- Rinse and pat dry the pork roast with paper towels, then rub the spice mixture all over the pork roast.
- Slice the onion into rings and peel the garlic, then place them at the bottom of the crock pot. Add two bay leaves and dump any remaining spices from the rub mixture into the crock pot. Pour in the liquids and place the pork roast fat side up.
- Cover and cook on high for 8 hours or on low for 12. The roast is done when it is very tender.
- Once the roast is done, place it on a large cutting board. Let the meat rest for 30 minutes. Shred the meat with two forks and discard any extra fat, then place the pulled pork in a very large bowl. This should take 15 minutes.
- Take the cooked onions and garlic out of the crock pot and place in a small bowl. Mush up the garlic with the tongs of a fork, then add the garlic and onions to the pulled pork.
- This step is optional: add the extra cooking liquid to the pulled pork, one tablespoon at a time, until the meat is as moist and flavorful as you desire.
- Serve on hamburger buns with BBQ sauce, coleslaw and pickled red onions, on soft tacos, or as is with some BBQ sauce.
The pleasure of a 5 star review for this slow cooker pulled pork recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pulled pork, slow cooker