Southern stewed okra and tomatoes is an easy recipe that shows you how to cook okra in a way that will appeal to the whole family. Eating okra stewed is not only healthy, but it’s also addictive! Fresh or frozen okra can be used to reap year round benefits of this amazing side dish that is a Southern classic.
- 7 slices smoked bacon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon fat, rendered from bacon
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 28 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups okra, fresh or frozen, and cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through and crispy, turning the bacon over with a fork as needed. Remove the bacon and blot off excess grease with paper towel. Let it cool, then cut into half inch pieces or crumble and set aside. Drain the bacon fat from the skillet, then return 1 1/2 tablespoons of the fat to the skillet.
- While the bacon is cooking, chop the onion and mince the garlic. Wash and cut the fresh okra or measure out the frozen cut okra.
- Heat the bacon fat over medium high heat, then saute the onion for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the garlic and stir constantly for a minute.
- Deglaze the skillet by pouring in the chicken broth and scraping all the browned bits off the bottom of the skillet with a wooden turner.
- Add the diced tomatoes, okra, salt, and pepper. Cover the skillet with a lid, aluminum foil, or a small cookie sheet and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a large wooden spoon.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in the crumbled bacon, reserving some for garnish. Sprinkle the freshly chopped parsley on top for extra color and flavor. Serve warm over mashed potatoes, rice, or grits.
- Choosing no salt added diced tomatoes, unsalted chicken broth, and low sodium bacon will decrease the sodium significantly.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for our Southern stewed okra and tomatoes would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stewed okra and tomatoes, southern