One pot American goulash is an easy recipe made with simple ingredients. Learn how to make this classic comfort food in the slow cooker or stove top. It’s a quick dinner idea for busy weeknights that is kid approved.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 pound ground beef (80% meat, 20% fat; 453g)
- 1 3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped (233g)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water (355 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (15 ml)
- 28 ounces petite diced tomatoes (793g)
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked (275g)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (22g)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until it’s shimmering. Brown the hamburger until it’s no longer pink, roughly 4 minutes. Use a wooden turner to break up the hamburger into smaller pieces while it cooks. Drain the fat off the meat and pour the fat out of the pan into a small bowl.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of hamburger fat back into the skillet. Turn the heat to medium-high and add the onion. Saute until soft, roughly 4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan by pouring 1/2 to 1 cup of water into the pan and scraping off the browned bits on the pan with a wooden turner.
- Add the dried spices (oregano, basil, rosemary, salt, black pepper and sugar). Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, to let the spices bloom.
- Return the cooked hamburger back to the skillet. Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes with the juice, uncooked macaroni, and the water. Cover the skillet and bring to a boil, then simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve warm with a generous sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
Slow Cooker Version
- Follow steps 1 to 4 from the stovetop directions above.
- Put the cooked hamburger, Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes with the juice, the onion mixture, and filtered water into a slow cooker.
- Cook covered on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- During the last 15 minutes, add the uncooked elbow macaroni, stir, and cover.
- Garnish with grated cheese and parsley.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for our one pot American goulash would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: goulash crockpot, goulash recipe, easy hamburger recipe