Sicilian tuna salad is a healthy, low carb recipe. This simple salad has no mayo and is perfect for parties, for lunch, or for a crowd. Learn how to make this popular summer salad with capers, olives, artichokes, and sun dried tomatoes.
For the Salad
- 4 cups albacore, oil packed (765g)
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced (77g)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (60 ml)
- 20 green queen olives, chopped (121g)
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed (22g)
- 3/4 cup celery, thinly sliced (95g)
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil, chopped (27g)
- 12 ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (1 1/4 cups, 210g drained)
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (60 ml)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain the tuna and place in a large bowl.
- Deflame the onion. Thinly slice half of a red onion, place the onion rings in a dish, and pour the red wine vinegar on top. Let it soak for 15 minutes. This will help take some of the bite out of the raw red onion and will give it a slight vinegar taste. Once done, drain the onion.
- Prep the ingredients. While the onion is soaking, mince the garlic and chop the olives, celery, sun dried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, oregano, parsley.
- Make the salad. Add the garlic, olives, capers, celery, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, lemon zest, and the fresh herbs to the bowl. Mix all the ingredients together with your hands. Pour in the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle on the Kosher salt and black pepper. Continue mixing with your hands until all the pieces are coated in dressing. Add the deflamed onion and gently mix it in.
- Garnish and serve. Top with some extra red onion and serve. Eat immediately or keep covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For the best flavor, use white albacore as it has a firmer texture and the mildest flavor.
- Canned tuna fish tastes best with fresh herbs.
- This recipe tastes better when freshly squeezed lemon juice is used.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tuna salad, Italian, olive oil