It’s hard not to love a steaming cup of homemade hot chocolate! I’ve always enjoyed this holiday beverage, especially when it’s topped with a pile of mini marshmallows. This recipe is super easy to make, and only takes 15 minutes from start to finish. It’s easy to double the batch if you’re having guests. Both kids and adults will love this rich and creamy holiday beverage. ☕
A day or two ago, Mom came across a recipe online for French hot chocolate that used an interesting ingredient: espresso powder. According to that recipe, it intensified the chocolate flavor. Since I didn’t have any of that on hand, I decided to add instant coffee granules to my recipe. It doesn’t add a lot of coffee flavor since I only added 1 tablespoon, but feel free to add more. I think having a hint of coffee adds another dimension to hot cocoa. Plus, it’s an easy way to get a quick mocha without having to take out the coffeepot. 😊
Ready for a cup of chocolate goodness? In 15 minutes, you can enjoy a lovely mug of hot cocoa that you made from scratch! It’s also fun to make this recipe with kids, who will love the stirring and snacking on marshmallows while they’re waiting. You can even mix up the dry ingredients and give them out as Christmas gifts to family and friends!Print
This easy recipe for homemade hot chocolate is rich and creamy and even contains a secret ingredient for more depth of flavor. Enjoy it at Christmas or throughout the winter!
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or mini marshmallows
- Sift the cocoa powder into a 2-quart saucepan and whisk in the sugar, instant coffee, and salt.
- Gradually whisk in the heavy cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking continuously, and allow the mixture to simmer for a minute while stirring.
- Stir in the whole milk gradually and heat for 3-5 minutes until steaming, but not boiling.
- Whisk the hot chocolate vigorously for 30 seconds to froth the mixture.
- Serve immediately garnished with whipped cream or mini marshmallows.
- If you’d like to keep the hot chocolate warm on the stovetop, put it on very low heat and stir occasionally, as a skin will form on the surface.
- Topping the hot chocolate with whipping cream makes it even more creamy, while using marshmallows makes it sweeter.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: at home, rich