Creamy sausage and gnocchi soup is a low carb Italian recipe that’s similar to its Olive Garden cousin. This healthy comfort food for families is easy to throw together for a simple weeknight meal, and would make a delicious addition to a fall party menu for a crowd. Either way, it’s sure to please both young and old.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (130g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage (453g)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (1.4 liters)
- 1/4 cup diced pimentos (52g)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound gnocchi (453g)
- 4 cups fresh kale, chopped (53g)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (236 ml)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (30g)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. It should take about 6 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven, then add the chopped onion and saute for 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about one or two minutes.
- Add the cooked sausage to the sauteed onion. Stir in the chicken broth, pimentos, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cover, bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the gnocchi and cook until it floats, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and cook until it is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- For one pot cooking, cook the sausage first for 3 minutes, then add the onions.
- Drain the sausage in a colander, pat with paper towel, and skim off excess fat near the end of cooking for a creamy colored soup.
- Make a roux after cooking the sausage and veggies if you want a thicker soup.
- Leave out the cream if you plan on freezing it. When ready to use thaw in the fridge, then add the cream after reheating.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: kale, Olive Garden