This easy recipe for Salisbury steak with onion gravy is low carb and perfect for family dinners! It’s a classic comfort food made with flavorful hamburger meat patties bathed in a rich onion gravy. This recipe is browned in a skillet and baked in a casserole dish for maximum juiciness.
For the Beef Patties
- 2 pounds ground beef (80% meat, 20% fat)
- 1 cup white breadcrumbs (made from easy white mountain bread)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, for searing
For the Caramelized Onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 yellow onions, halved, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 white wine, to deglaze the pan
For the Onion Gravy
- caramelized onions from above
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Making the Beef Patties
- Make your own breadcrumbs with day-old or frozen bread. Cut or tear the bread into small pieces, place in a blender, and let it whirl for a minute until the breadcrumbs are small.
- In a large bowl, put the ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and spices. Mix ingredients together with your hands. Divide into 12 balls of equal size, roughly 3.4 ounces each. Shape patties to be similar in thickness.
- In two cast iron skillets, melt the butter, swirl it around, then place 6 patties in each skillet. Cook for 4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the 12 cooked beef patties to a 9×9 inch baking pan. Place them close together, but in one layer. Set aside.
- For easy clean up, pour the hamburger fat into a small bowl and place in the fridge for it to harden into a disc, then discard.
Making the Caramelized Onions
- Halve both onions, then cut them into thin slices. Separate each piece.
- In one of the cast iron skillets, melt the butter, then add the onions. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until caramelized, roughly 15 minutes.
- To deglaze the pan, pour in 1/4 cup of white wine. Stir constantly until the fond is off the bottom of the pan. This is will take 2 minutes.
Making the Onion Gravy
- In the same skillet the onions were cooked in, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. First, sprinkle the onions with salt and pepper, then sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour over the onions. Cook the flour for two minutes while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Gradually add the the stock, constantly stirring as you do so, then add two teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce for additional color and flavor.
- Let the gravy simmer until its the desired thickness. Taste. If necessary, add more salt and pepper. You should get about 2 1/2 cups of gravy.
Making the Salisbury Steak
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spoon the onion gravy over the 12 beef patties that are in the 9X9 baking pan. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. This step lets the patties finish cooking and helps them stay moist.
- Serve warm. Spoon the onion gravy over each beef patty. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- The pleasure of a 5 star review of this Salisbury steak with onion gravy recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade, gravy