Kale Christmas wreath salad is a healthy recipe that is perfect for parties during the holiday season. This low calorie, low carb salad is massaged with a tasty lemon garlic dressing. Decorate with a cute red pepper bow that’s easy and quick to assemble. Impress your guests with this yummy make ahead salad.
For the Salad
- 16 cups curly kale, from 2 large bunches (213g)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, rinsed (148g)
- 1 red bell pepper (about 150g)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese (30g)
For the Dressing
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (88 ml)
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic (24g)
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice, from 2 large lemons (73 ml)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Prepping the Kale
- Rinse the kale and pat it dry one piece at a time. Remove the ribs by pinching the end of the stem and running your fingers down it. Tear each piece into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
Making the Lemon Garlic Dressing
- Whisk together the lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the olive oil and whisk again to make a thick dressing.
Massaging the Kale
- Pour the lemon garlic dressing over the kale. Start tossing the salad with both hands to coat each piece, then rub the kale leaves with both hands for 5 minutes. Massaging the kale will take away the bitterness and toughness.
- Taste a piece of kale. Adjust seasonings, if necessary, by adding more salt, black pepper, garlic, or lemon juice.
- Let the massaged kale sit for 10 minutes or overnight. This will help remove more of the bitterness.
Assembling the Christmas Salad Wreath
- Put a bowl in the center of a large circular tray. Arrange the massaged kale around the edge, making a wreath shape.
- Add grape tomatoes all over the wreath salad, but leave the bottom empty for the red pepper bow.
- To make the red pepper bow, cut the bottom off of a large red bell pepper. Cut apart the four points so you can make a bow. (Refer to the picture in the blog post.) Remove the seeds from the bell pepper and cut two long strips for the ends of the bow. Make sure to have a curved end on each pepper strip.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the finely grated Asaigo cheese over the wreath, being careful not to cover the red pepper bow or the grape tomatoes. Serve the salad cold or at room temperature.
Optional: Assembling the Salad in a Bowl
- Place the massaged kale in a very large bowl. Chop half of a red bell pepper and the grape tomatoes cut in half, then add them to the salad along with 1/2 cup of coarsely grated Asiago cheese. Toss with both hands until the ingredients are well distributed.
- Garnish with Asiago shards and grape tomato halves and serve.
- This salad will keep in the fridge for three days in an airtight container with the dressing on it.
- It actually tastes better if made in advance, as the kale will become less bitter and tough. For maximum freshness, add the tomatoes and cheese just before serving.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: green, recipe