Roasted Cabbage Wedges
Roasted cabbage wedges are an easy healthy side dish you can serve for a low carb dinner. Simply use fresh green cabbage, garlic, lemon and butter. Enjoy the health benefits of this quick vegetarian recipe that can be roasted in the oven on one tray.
Servings: 8 servings
For the Lemon Garlic Butter
Roasting the Cabbage
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
Take off the outer leaves. Using a large knife, cut it into 8 pieces by cutting it in half, then in quarters, etc. Leave the stem and core on, as it helps it hold its shape.
Place it on the foil-lined cookie sheet. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, then carefully turn with a flipper and roast for another 20 minutes or until slightly brown around the edges and fork tender. Use your own judgement for cooking time, as each cabbage is a different size.
Making the Lemon Garlic Brown Butter
Melt 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Add in the garlic. Constantly stir with a wooden spoon until the butter and garlic turns a golden brown.
Remove from the heat and pour the browned butter and garlic into a small bowl. Stir in the freshly squeezed lemon juice and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Stir again and adjust seasonings to taste.
When the roasted cabbage is ready to serve, brush the lemon garlic butter onto each wedge, then cut off the core that extends past the arch for a pretty presentation.
- Use a heavy, tight leaved cabbage for the best results.
- Cut the wedges the same size so they will be cooked through at the same time.
- Don't remove the core until after it's cooked as it is helps the wedge keep it's shape when you flip it.
- Roast on the middle rack in a hot oven set at 400°F, 425°F or 450°F. Adjust cooking times for a hotter oven.
- Want it more caramelized? Cook it longer on each side at 400°F or increase temperature to 425°F, but watch carefully so that it doesn't burn.
Serving: 1wedge | Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 22mg | Potassium: 209mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 289IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1mg