How to roast pumpkin is a healthy, savory recipe that uses the oven. This is the best simple side dish since it’s low carb and you can easily make it ahead for Thanksgiving dinner. Customize the seasonings and make this delicious side dish for entertaining this fall!
- 1 small sugar pumpkin (700g)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened (14g)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Scrub the pumpkin under warm water, then dry it off with a clean towel. Make slits with a sharp knife all oven the pumpkin for steam to escape.
- Place the pumpkin on a plate, stem side up, and microwave on high for 5 minutes. This will soften the outer skin to make cutting easier. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut the stem off, then cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and pulp with your hands and with a metal spoon. Keep the seeds for roasting.
- Place the cut pumpkin on a foil-lined baking tray, flesh side up. Brush the flesh with olive oil and sprinkle with coriander, turmeric, sea salt and black pepper. Place flesh side down and roast for 17 minutes. Turn the pumpkin halves over with tongs (be careful, it’s hot!), so the flesh side is up. Roast for another 17 minutes. The pumpkin is done when it can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Once the pumpkin has cooled, peel off the outer skin. You can keep the skin to eat. Brush the pumpkin flesh with butter to add more flavor, then cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of black pepper and coriander. Serve warm.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this roasted pumpkin recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: what to do with roasted pumpkin, roast whole pumpkin