We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Refreshing cucumber salad is a spring and summer classic. It’s great for covered dish events, entertaining, and picnics. This recipe is low calorie and low carb, so it’s perfect if you’re watching your weight.
Whether you prefer the German and Polish versions which use sour cream and black pepper, the Japanese version that uses rice vinegar and sesame seeds, or the Southern version which uses white vinegar, sugar and Vidalia onion, you are going to love eating cucumber salad. For this recipe, white balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt and white pepper are mixed together to make a light vinaigrette. The thinly sliced English cucumbers are marinated in this sweet and tangy dressing so the flavors can meld and the salad can chill.
Also in this recipe, the thinly sliced red onion gives the salad added color and sharpness. The sugar balances the acidity of the white balsamic vinegar and the salt helps draw out the excess moisture, remove bitterness, and improves the flavor of the cucumbers. If you want to get fancy, you can score the cucumbers with the tines of a fork to achieve a scalloped edge, or you can leave alternating green stripes before slicing. Serve this recipe with a slice of torta pasqualina for an extra-special spring feast.
Check out these other delicious salads for your Pinterest board.
- French Grated Carrot Salad: this tangy, lemony salad is a refreshing side dish from France.
- Make Ahead Broccoli Salad: this delicious savory salad is perfect for BBQs and picnics.
- Irish Pub Salad: this lavish spread of fresh and pickled veggies is always a big hit.
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated.Print
Refreshing cucumber salad is a healthy, low carb recipe that is perfect to make for a party or family dinner this spring. Vegans and vegetarians will also love this simple meal idea. Thinly sliced red onion and fresh dill give this cucumber salad a burst of color that will set this dish apart at your next picnic or covered dish event.
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- generous sprinkle of salt
- 3/4 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons sugar, added one at a time
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped
- sprinkle salt and white pepper
- Rinse two cucumbers and cut off both ends, then very thinly slice them with a sharp knife. If you want you can score the cucumber with the tines of a fork to get a scalloped edge.
- Spread out the cucumber slices on a large cutting board and sprinkle salt over them. This is called sweating the cucumbers, and will draw out the excess moisture, enhance the texture, and remove any bitterness from the cukes. Wait 20 minutes, then blot off the moisture with a paper towel and place the cucumbers in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel and quarter a red onion, then thinly slice it and separate it into strips.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar and 2 teaspoons of sugar, then pour over the sliced cucumbers. Add the dill and a sprinkle of salt and white pepper. Gently toss and adjust seasonings to taste by adding the other teaspoon of sugar, if necessary, then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for one hour or until ready to serve. Drain any excess moisture that will settle in the bottom of the bowl. Toss just before serving. Store any leftovers covered in the fridge.
- This recipe is wonderful to make the night before for a covered dish event.
- It’s best to eat the salad within 24 hours.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Marinated
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: easy cucumber salad, healthy cucumber salad