This easy homemade appetizer is a great way to start a meal of Chinese takeout. Learn how to make cream cheese rangoons just like Panda Express does. Your family will be eating up these crispy rangoons as fast as they can!
- Make the Filling: Place the softened cream cheese, green onion, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir until well blended.
- Shaping the Wontons: Separate a wonton wrapper from the stack and place it on the work surface. Drop about 2 teaspoons of the cream cheese filling on the wonton wrapper, then place a dot of water on each side of the wrapper. Bring the center of each side into the middle and pinch firmly. (See photos in the blog post for a visual demonstration of this technique.) Repeat until you have used up all of the cream cheese filling.
- Heat the Oil: Fill a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or large saucepan with two inches of peanut oil. Set it over medium-high heat until the oil has reached 350 F on a thermometer, then turn the heat to medium-low.
- Deep Fry: Carefully place three rangoons in the hot oil, letting them float around the pot until they are a nice golden brown. Be sure to remove the rangoons when they are a little lighter in color than you would like, as they will darken a couple of shades as they cool. Use a slotted spoon or spider to lift them from the oil, then let them drain on paper towels. Repeat until all the rangoons are fried.
- Enjoy: Let the rangoons cool for 5-10 minutes before enjoying, as they will be extremely hot from the oil. Enjoy immediately with sweet-and-sour dipping sauce or as an appetizer for other Panda Express dishes.
- When you shape the wontons, make sure that no filling is oozing out, or more may bubble out during the frying.
- Don't flip the rangoons upside down when they're frying, or the cream cheese may leak out.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Deep Fried
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: recipe, wontons, panda express