Quinoa taco meat is an easy plant based recipe that is high in protein, vegan, and gluten free. It is simple to make and transforms plain quinoa into a delicious taco filling that kid’s love. A must try!
- 1 cup red quinoa (197g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15 ml)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped (63g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chunky salsa, medium (like Margaritaville)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (443g)
- 2–4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (2 to 3 limes)
- Toast the uncooked quinoa in an ungreased 10-inch skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour the toasted quinoa in a strainer and rinse. Set aside by resting the strainer over a clean bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat until it shimmers, roughly 2 minutes, then saute the onion for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the dry taco seasoning spices and cook for one minute to bloom them, stirring constantly.
- Add the rinsed quinoa and the chunky salsa, then stir.
- Cover with a lid and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir then simmer uncovered for 5 minutes more, or until the extra liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes. Stir in 2 to 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice. Fluff with a fork and serve while still hot.
Assemble the Tacos
- Char the tortillas in a bit of olive oil over medium heat. Fill the tortilla with 1/2 cup of quinoa, 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo, 2 tablespoons of guacamole, and 1 tablespoon of avocado cilantro lime dressing. Garnish with a squeeze of lime juice and some fresh cilantro leaves.
- If you’re in a hurry, use 2 1/2 cups of leftover quinoa, and substitute 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and onion powder and omit the olive oil.
- To get the fluffiest quinoa, cook it separately with 1/4 teaspoon salt for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat with the lid on to rest, fluff it with a fork, then return to the heat. Add the taco spices and salsa, then simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the lime juice. Stir and serve.
- Guacamole: mash 2 avocados and mix with lime juice, salt, cumin, finely diced onion, and chopped cilantro.
- Pico de Gallo: toss together diced tomatoes, diced onion, diced jalapeno, minced garlic, cumin, cilantro, lime juice, salt, black pepper, and cumin. Chill until ready to serve.
- Cilantro Lime Dressing: puree cilantro, avocado, lime juice, jalapeno, lime zest, maple syrup, salt, black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil in a food processor until smooth.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: easy quinoa taco meat, plant based recipe