We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Since 2000, our family has enjoyed key lime pie as a spring dessert. Since we live in southeast Georgia, pretty close to Florida, it’s a familiar dessert to many people in our town too. Key lime pie is actually Florida’s state dessert, which I think is a great choice!
What I really love about this key lime pie recipe is that it’s so quick and easy to make. The pie itself only takes 5 ingredients, and only 2 ingredients for the decoration. The simple decoration of whipped cream, lime slices, and lime zest is easy to do and makes this pie even prettier.
If you’re a key lime pie purist, you might disagree with having green food coloring in the filling. Don’t worry; food coloring is optional, but I’ve included it so the pie looks more limey.
This recipe is adapted from Easy Key Lime Pie @ Allrecipes.com.
Hungry for more spring desserts? Try these other delicious recipes!
Super Easy Coconut Macaroons: no mixer is required for these chewy coconut cookies.
How to Make French Macarons: your family and friends will be amazed with these meringue cookies.Print
Quick and easy key lime pie is a super easy homemade spring dessert that you can make from scratch! Whether you’re baking it for Easter, St. Patrick’s, or just for your kids, your family will love the creamy key lime and condensed milk filling and crunchy graham cracker crust. So easy and so good!
For the Pie
- 5 large egg yolks
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (freshly squeezed or from concentrate)
- Green food coloring, optional
- 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
For the Decoration
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 key limes
Making the Pie (15 minutes + 15 minutes baking + cooling)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Crack the eggs, separating the yolks from the whites. Place the yolks in a large mixing bowl and reserve the whites for another use.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice to the yolks. Beat with a hand-held electric mixer on low speed until everything is well blended. Stir in the green food coloring a drop at a time until the desired color is reached. Skip the food coloring for an authentic key lime pie.
- Pour the filling into a 9-inch graham cracker crust and level the top.
- Bake at 375 F for about 15 minutes, until the filling has a slight wobble.
- Let the pie cool on a wire rack, then chill until ready to decorate.
Decorating the Pie (10 minutes)
- Beat the whipping cream in a bowl until stiff peaks form, then spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle. Pipe the cream in loops around the edge of the pie, and put one blob in the middle.
- Garnish the pie as desired with thin lime slices and a few sprinkles of lime zest. Serve chilled.
- If you’re using fresh key limes to get the lime juice, it’ll take about 14 key limes to get 1/2 cup of juice. Make sure the limes are at room temperature before you start juicing them, as cold citrus doesn’t yield as much juice. Juicing the key limes will take about 25 minutes.
- Store leftover pie covered in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Category: Pies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: key lime pie easy, authentic key lime pie recipe