Pumpkin and sweet potato soup is an easy, healthy recipe that is vegan and dairy free. Make it on the stovetop or in the slow cooker for a low carb fall dinner idea that is delicious!
For the Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (130g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup white wine (240 ml)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (946 ml)
- 4 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced (643g)
- 1 Fuji apple, diced (204g)
- 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree (425g)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 14-ounce can of coconut milk (400g)
For the Garnish
- 1/4 cup pepita seeds roasted, shelled, and salted (35g)
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, shelled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering then saute the onion for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and saute for one minute.
- Pour in the white wine and scrape the brown fond off the bottom of the pot with a wooden turner.
- Add the vegetable broth, canned pumpkin puree, sweet potato, and apple, then add the dried spices and stir. Cover and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Working in small batches, puree the soup in a blender. Remove the center handle on the blender lid to let the steam escape, cover the hole with a folded kitchen towel, and blend.
- Once the soup is all pureed, return it to the Dutch oven and pour in the coconut milk. Let it heat through on medium heat, roughly 5 minutes.
- Serve while it's still hot, and garnish each bowl with a sprinkle of pepita seeds, peanuts, and fresh parsley.
- For a nice short cut, use canned pumpkin puree with no spices.
- For more flavor, use vegetable broth instead of water.
- For a smooth, thicken soup, puree it with a blender, food processor or immersion blender.
- Omit the coconut milk if you want to freeze this then add it in once you're ready to serve the soup.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin sweet potato soup, coconut milk, vegan