This easy recipe for vegan pumpkin scones is quick to make. A drizzle of pumpkin spice glaze on these moist scones will get your mouth watering. Your whole family will love these fall treats!
For the Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240g)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter (112g)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (130g)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (50g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (60 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk, optional (60 ml)
For the Spiced Glaze
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar (150g)
- 1–2 tablespoons almond milk (15–30 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Pour the flour into a mixing bowl and whisk in the pumpkin spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
- Rub the cold vegan butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips until pea-sized pieces of butter remain.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, applesauce, and vanilla to form a soft, slightly sticky dough. If the dough is dry, add some of the almond milk. (When I make this recipe, I find that I don’t need the milk.)
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface and gently roll it out into a 1-inch thick circle. Cut the dough into 8 wedges like a pie. (I like to use my bench scraper for this.)
- Transfer the triangular scones to an 11×17-inch cookie sheet and bake at 400 F for 14-18 minutes, or until the bottoms of the scones are lightly browned.
- Place the scones on a wire rack and let them cool for about 15-20 minutes.
- While you wait, make the spiced glaze. Sift the powdered sugar into a mixing bowl and stir in the pumpkin spice. Mix in enough almond milk to create a thick but spreadable glaze.
- Spread the glaze on top of the cooled scones, and let them stand for about 10-15 minutes to let the glaze harden. Enjoy the scones while they’re fresh.
- Gently handle the dough to avoid making the scones tough.
- It’s best to use canned pumpkin puree, as it is less liquidy than homemade.
- Watch the oven timer carefully so the scones don’t overbake.
- Category: Scones
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan, healthy, recipe