Easy pumpkin pie bars are a Thanksgiving dessert that makes enough for a crowd of hungry guests. This creamy homemade pie is made completely from scratch, and is quick to make. Everyone will love this take on the classic pumpkin pie.
Pre-Baking the Crust (20 min + 25 min baking)
- Roll the pastry into a large rectangle that’s 1/8 inch thick. Put it inside of a 9×13-inch cake pan, pushing it into all the corners. Trim off the excess so it goes 1 inch up the sides of the pan. (If desired, re-roll the offcuts and cut out mini leaves and acorns and bake them for 10 minutes at 400 F. These are good decorations.)
- Prick the base all over with a fork and chill for 10 minutes in the fridge or freezer.
- Crumple up a large piece of parchment paper and spread the paper inside of the pastry, then fill it with dried beans.
- Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, then remove the parchment paper and beans and bake for 8-10 minutes longer, until it is pale golden around the edges.
Baking (10 min + 35 min baking)
- Lower the oven temperature to 375 F.
- Whisk all the filling ingredients together until smooth, then pour into the shell.
- Bake at 375 F for 35 minutes, until the filling jiggles only slightly in the middle when it is shaken.
- Let them cool completely on a wire rack, then chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Slice with a sharp knife. Decorate each slice with whipped cream, a baked cutout of a leaf or acorn, and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice.
- Make your own pastry for the best flavor and texture.
- Blind bake the crust to prevent it from bubbling up as the bars bake.
- When are they done? The center should jiggle slightly when shaken.
- Let them cool completely and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours before slicing.
- Decorate the bars with mini fall leaf shapes and piped whipped cream.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin slab pie, healthy pumpkin pie bars