Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
Greek lemon chicken soup is a healthy, low carb soup recipe. This made from scratch Mediterranean dish is fantastic for soothing colds. This creamy soup is made with rice, shredded chicken, lemon, dill, and homemade croutons. This simple, make ahead dinner idea is comfort food at its best.
Servings: 8 cups
For the Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- ⅓ cup yellow onion chopped
- ½ cup white jasmine rice raw
- 6 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice from 4 large lemons
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups shredded chicken from 2 ½ large poached chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Croutons
- 2 cups ciabbatta bread cubed (1 large ciabatta roll)
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Garnish
- 6 lemon slices from one large lemon
- ⅓ cup fresh dill chopped
- zest of two large lemons
- homemade croutons
Making the Soup
Heat the oil in a large pot set over medium high heat. Cook the onion for 4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, roughly a minute.
Pour in 4 cups of broth and ½ cup of rice. Stir, cover, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Once the rice is cooked, scoop out ½ cup of hot broth for tempering the eggs. Stir in the remaining 2 ½ cups of broth and the shredded chicken. Cover and simmer.
To temper the eggs, whisk the eggs until smooth, then pour in the lemon juice and half of the lemon zest. Keep whisking until the mixture is frothy. Slowly pour in ½ cup of the hot broth, constantly whisking as you pour.
Lower the heat, uncover, and slowly pour the egg mixture in, constantly whisking as you pour. Season with salt and pepper, then let it simmer until the soup coats the back of a spoon and the shredded chicken is heated through.
Garnish each bowl with half of a lemon slice, a sprinkle of dill and lemon zest, and the homemade croutons. Serve immediately while still warm.
Making the Croutons
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Mix the cubed bread with the melted butter and garlic powder in a medium-sized bowl.
Spread the cubes on a small baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. Stir and rotate the tray halfway through baking.
- Use rotisserie chicken if you don't have time for shredded chicken.
- The taste will be different if you subtitute freshly squeezed lemon juice for concentrated bottled lemon juice;.
- Don't let the soup boil, once the tempered egg has been added.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 134mg | Sodium: 506mg | Potassium: 413mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 416IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg