Easy Mushy Peas Recipe
Learn how to make this traditional English and Irish side dish for fish and chips or a meat pie. This delicious and healthy vegetarian dish can be customized to your taste with mint, cream, or lemon juice.
Servings: 9 cups
- 4 ½ cups dried marrowfat peas or 4 cups green split peas 2 lb
- 2 tablespoons baking soda bicarbonate of soda
- 8 cups water
- 5 ½ cups filtered water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons salt or more to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
Place the dried marrowfats in a large Dutch oven and sprinkle the baking soda on top. Pour in 8 cups of boiling water and stir, then cover and let stand at room temperature for about 12 hours. (You can go up to 24 hours if you'd like.)
Drain the marrowfats in a large colander, making sure to rinse them very thoroughly to remove the baking soda. They still will have a somewhat bitter flavor from the baking soda, but this will go away once they are cooked.
Return them to the Dutch oven and cover with filtered water (about 5 ½ cups). Stir in the salt and pepper, then cover.
Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, then turn down the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the peas are thick and mushy. Skim off any foam or loosened skins, and be careful not to overcook, or they will not be as chunky.
Leave them plain, and serve hot with a variety of toppings, such as lemon wedges, cream, butter, mint sauce, and malt vinegar. Mushy peas also taste great alongside fish and chips or meat pies.
- In a hurry? Use frozen green ones instead of the dried ones and use less water.
- For a thicker version, use less water and cook for less time.
- Serving with fish and chips? Stir ⅓ cup (78 ml) of heavy cream and a few tablespoons of salted butter into the pot.
- Want a minty version? Stir in mint sauce to taste and fresh chopped mint leaves.
- Tangy version? Add freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste.
- Freeze leftovers in a zip-top bag or airtight container for up to 3 months.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 681mg | Potassium: 485mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 74IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 2mg