Non Alcoholic Mint Julep Recipe
This mint julep recipe is non alcoholic and is inspired by Disneyland's famous mint julep. It can easily be made at home for one or for a crowd. Learn how to make a large batch in a pitcher of this refreshing drink for your families' next party, the Kentucky Derby, or a baby shower. It's a simple and easy treat that kids and adults all love.
Servings: 1 glass
For One Drink (15 ounces)
- 5 tablespoons simple syrup or infused simple syrup chilled (2.5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon frozen lemonade from concentrate 1.1 ounce
- 4 teaspoons frozen limeade from concentrate 0.6 ounce
- 2 tablespoons homemade creme de menthe chilled (1 ounce)
- 1 cup sparkling mineral water chilled (8 ounces)
- ¼ cup crushed ice optional
For a Pitcher (Serves 4)
- 1 ¼ cups simple syrup or infused simple syrup 10 ounces
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon frozen concentrated lemonade 4.5 ounces
- ⅓ cup frozen concentrated limeade 2.6 ounces
- ½ cup homemade creme de menthe 4 ounces
- 4 cups sparkling mineral water 32 ounces
- 1 cup crushed ice
For the Garnish
- 1 lemon cut into 8 wedges, seeds removed
- 2 maraschino cherries without stems
- 1 mint sprig
- 1 bamboo skewer
- 1 or 2 straws per glass
Mixing an Individual Serving (15 ounces)
In a 15 ounce glass, pour in 5 tablespoons of chilled simple syrup or the mint infused simple syrup.
Add 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of frozen concentrated lemonade and 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of frozen concentrated limeade. Stir with a long handled spoon.
Pour in 2 tablespoons of chilled homemade creme de menthe and stir to mix. You'll see the color start changing.
Pour in 1 cup or 8 ounces of sparkling mineral water. Gently stir. Now it should be the color of the traditional one (prior 2017) from Disneyland's Mint Julep Bar in New Orlean's Square.
Add crushed ice, the lemon/cherry skewer, a mint sprig, and one or two red straws.
Mixing a Pitcher for a Party (4 servings)
Pour in the 1 ¼ cups simple syrup or the mint infused simple syrup. Add the ½ cup of frozen lemonade and the ⅓ cup of frozen lemonade. Pour in ½ cup of homemade creme de menthe. Stir until well combined. Add 4 cups of sparkling mineral water and gently stir. Add ¼ cup of crushed ice to each of the 4 glasses. Pour mint julep over top the crushed ice.
If using for a party, add the sparkling mineral water just before serving with the crushed ice on the side.
Garnishing the Drink
Take a lemon wedge and pierce the bamboo skewer through the rind. Take it off the skewer. Put the maraschino cherries on the skewer, then put the lemon wedge back on the skewer.
Add a straw or two to your glass, then nestle a mint sprig right beside the straw. This way you can smell it when you take a drink. Serve immediately.
- To make the mint infused simple syrup, pour 1 cup of water (236 ml) and 1 cup of sugar (200g) into a small saucepan. Set over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and pour the hot syrup over ½ cup of chopped fresh mint. Cover and let steep 30 minutes to 1 hour, then strain out the herb. Pour into a glass jar and keep covered in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- To make the homemade creme de menthe, make a simple syrup with 1 cup water (236 ml) and 1 cup sugar (200g). Pour into a container and let it cool completely. (To speed this up, place in the freezer for 15 minutes.) Stir in 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract and a few drops of green food coloring. Pour into a glass jar and keep covered in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- If you use store bought creme de menthe, you won't have the same flavor profile as the recipe.
- Add the sparkling mineral water just before serving, if you plan to make a large pitcher.
- Set out separate bowls for the lemon wedges, maraschino cherries, mint sprigs and bamboo skewers, if making for a party.
Serving: 15oz | Calories: 498kcal | Carbohydrates: 116g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 71mg | Potassium: 96mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 114g | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 4mg