This homemade peppermint mocha is an easy Christmas coffee drink that’s the perfect peppermint treat to enjoy during the holiday season. Make it hot, iced, or skinny and enjoy a taste of festive cheer!
For the Peppermint Syrup (Makes about 3/4 Cup)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150g)
- 1/2 cup filtered water (120 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the Chocolate Milk (Makes about 1 Cup)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (120 ml)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (6g)
- 1/4 cup 60% cacao chocolate chips (45g)
For the Mocha (14 fl oz or 416 ml)
- 3 tablespoons mint syrup (45 ml)
- 1/4 cup chocolate milk (60 ml)
- 2/3 cup strong coffee (or 1/3 cup espresso) (160 ml)
- 2/3 cup whole milk (160 ml)
For Decorating One Mocha
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (60 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated chocolate
Making the Peppermint Syrup (5 minutes)
- Pour the sugar and water into a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and let it cool for about 1 minute, then stir in the peppermint extract. Set aside.
Making the Chocolate Milk (10 minutes)
- Sift the cocoa powder into the same small saucepan you used for the peppermint syrup. Gradually whisk in the heavy whipping cream until the cocoa powder has dissolved into the cream, then stir in the milk.
- Heat the milk mixture over medium heat until it just begins to steam, then remove it from the heat and dump in the chocolate chips. Whisk vigorously until the chocolate is melted and fully incorporated.
- Pour the chocolate milk into a blender and blend for 60 seconds. The milk should be well combined and frothy.
Making & Decorating the Mocha (10 minutes)
- Make the coffee or espresso.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of the mint syrup and 1/4 cup of the chocolate milk into a mug. Add 2/3 cup of coffee and 2/3 cup of whole milk. Stir well to combine.
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Snip the corner off of a sandwich bag and slip a star piping nozzle into the corner to create a piping bag. Spoon the whipped cream into the bag and pipe the cream in a mound on top of the mocha.
- Use a fine cheese grater to grate some dark chocolate on top of the mocha. Garnish with a candy cane and enjoy immediately.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this peppermint mocha recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: starbucks peppermint mocha recipe, starbucks peppermint drinks