In a hurry? Make this healthy, make ahead side dish for the Thanksgiving holidays. Fresh ingredients like oranges, jalapeño, and toasted pecans make this gluten free pecan and orange cranberry relish a wonderful treat. This recipe makes enough for a crowd, and tastes great on leftover turkey sandwiches.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (237g)
- 2 large navel oranges, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces (264g)
- 1/2 tablespoon salted butter (7g)
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (65g)
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced (35g)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced (34g)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150g)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (reserve some for garnish)
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, cut in ribbons (reserve some for garnish)
- Pulse the cranberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Peel and section the room temperature oranges, making sure to remove most of the pith. Cut each section into 6or 7 bite-sized pieces. Dice the red onion and jalapeño pepper, then grate the ginger and squeeze the lime juice.
- Toast the pecans in the butter over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until browned (about 3 minutes). Let cool on paper towel.
- Stir together the cranberries, oranges, red onion, jalapeño, ginger, lime juice, and sugar until well blended. Taste and add more sugar or fresh lime juice as desired.
- Cover the relish and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Just before serving, stir in the pecans along with most of the mint ribbons and orange zest. Garnish with the remaining orange zest and mint. Serve chilled.
- Make up to three days in advance. Add the pecans, mint and orange zest just before serving.
- The white sugar can be reduced to 1/2 cup or replaced with 1/3 cup agave nectar or honey.
- Use leftovers on top of cream cheese bagels or leftover turkey sandwiches.
- Leave out the nuts, jalapeños, and ginger for less ingredients and less prep work.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fresh, salad, easy