In a hurry? Make this healthy, make ahead side dish for the Thanksgiving holidays. Fresh ingredients like oranges, jalapeño, and toasted pecans make this gluten free cranberry orange relish a wonderful treat. This recipe makes enough for a crowd, and tastes great on leftover turkey sandwiches.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (237g)
- 2 large navel oranges, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces (264g)
- 1/2 tablespoon salted butter (7g)
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (65g)
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced (35g)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced (34g)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150g)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, cut in ribbons
- Chop: Pulse the cranberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Prep: Peel and section the oranges, making sure to remove most of the pith, then cut them into bite-sized pieces. Dice the red onion and jalapeño pepper, then grate the ginger and squeeze the lime juice.
- Pecans: Toast the pecans in the butter over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until browned (about 3 minutes). Let cool on paper towel.
- Assemble: Stir together the cranberries, oranges, red onion, jalapeño, ginger, lime juice, and sugar until well blended. Taste and add more sugar or fresh lime juice as desired.
- Chill: Cover the relish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days in advance.
- Serve: Right before serving, stir in the toasted pecans along with most of the mint ribbons and orange zest. To add more color, garnish with the remaining orange zest and mint. Serve chilled.
- Make up to three days in advance. Add the pecans, mint, and orange zest just before serving.
- The white sugar can be reduced to 1/2 cup or replaced with 1/3 cup agave nectar or honey.
- You can substitute walnuts for the pecans.
- Use leftovers on top of cream cheese bagels or leftover turkey sandwiches.
- Leave out the nuts, jalapeños, and ginger for less ingredients and less prep work.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cranberry orange relish recipe, cranberry relish