Pear, gouda, and chicken sausage rigatoni with spinach is an easy homemade recipe that has a simple pan sauce that coats the pasta. Add red pepper, red pear, and fresh spinach for color. It’s a great option for a quick weeknight meal to serve your family for dinner.
- 8 ounces dry rigatoni (227g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (for cooking pasta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound pear, gouda, and chicken sausage, pre-cooked and coined (450g)
- 1 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red pear, cored and cubed into bite size pieces (145g)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups white cooking wine
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into 1 tablespoon pats
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup gouda cheese, finely cubed (70g)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, for garnish
- Fresh black pepper, for garnish
- Cook the rigatoni with salt according to the package directions until it is al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water, then toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- While the water is boiling for the pasta, start on the sausage mixture. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a large skillet over medium high heat, then add the sausage and the red pepper. Cook for 4 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add the pear and cook for 2 minutes, then add the spinach and stir constantly until it is wilted and has turned a bright green.
- Remove the sausage mixture from the skillet and transfer to a large plate.
- Start making the pan sauce by deglazing the pan with the wine over medium high heat. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan (called fond) with a flat wooden spoon. The fond will add flavor to the sauce.
- Cook until the wine is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in one tablespoon of butter at a time. Season to taste with a sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Pour the pan sauce over the pasta and stir until well coated.
- Add the pasta and sausage mixture back to the skillet, set over medium heat, and stir until well combined. Cook for 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve immediately with a garnish of smoked Gouda cubes and a generous sprinkle of fresh thyme and cracked black pepper.
- The sausage I used is called Chicken, Pear, and Gouda from Sam’s Club. This is not a sponsored post.
- This pasta dish will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red pear, rigatoni, sausage