Pear, gouda, and almond salad is both a healthy and simple meal featuring red pear, gouda, blue cheese, and toasted almonds. It’s a low carb easy meal that is perfect for lunch or a light dinner. Pour the honey, olive oil, and apple cider vinaigrette over the mixed greens to give you an easy Easter salad idea.
For the Dressing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- freshly squeezed lemon juice, one wedge
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups organic spring lettuce mix
- 2 cups watercress
- 7 slices smoked Gouda cheese (roughly 3 ounces)
- 2 ounces blue cheese
- 1 red Anjou pear, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons sweetened dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche, optional
Making the Salad
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat, then add the sliced almonds and stir constantly until lightly toasted. Lower the heat to medium after a couple of minutes. Once toasted, immediately place the almonds in a bowl.
- Slice the smoked Gouda cheese.
- Zest the lemon, then cut it in half. Juice one half of the lemon and combine with two cups of cool water in a medium bowl. Rinse, dry, and thinly slice the red pear, then submerge the pear slices into the lemon water for a minute to prevent the pear from browning.
- Cut the other half of the lemon in half again, then thinly slice one half if you plan on doing a composed salad. If doing a tossed, quarter the second half of the lemon.
Making the Dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, honey, and Dijon mustard. Slowly pour in the oil and whisk until combined. Squeeze in the juice of one lemon wedge, then add a sprinkle of salt and black pepper to taste. Pour into a small glass jar with a lid. Shake well before using.
- Line the serving platter with green and red lettuce from the lettuce mix, then fan out the thinly sliced red pear and place on top of the red lettuce.
- On the other side of the platter, fan the Gouda cheese slices. In the middle, place the toasted almonds and the crumbled blue cheese. Lay down some watercress leaves on top of the remaining red lettuce and place 6 overlapping slices of lemon on top.
- In the last corner, place a handful of spring mix and watercress and sprinkle the dried cranberries over the top. Sprinkle lemon zest over the lettuce and a drizzle on a bit of creme fraiche.
- On a cutting board, cut the sliced red pear and the gouda into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, dump the organic spring mix and the watercress. Add the rest of the ingredients except the lemon slices and toss until well combined.
- Just before serving, add the salad dressing as needed and a squeeze of fresh lemon, then toss.
- Serve immediately.
- Store any leftover dressing in the fridge for a couple of days.
- Store leftover salad in separate covered containers for up to 3 days. Keep these ingredients separate for best texture: the cheese, nuts, pear, spring mix, and lemon.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Sliced
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Composed Salad, spring salad, pears