We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Want a refreshing twist to your spring salad? Feature pears instead of apples–red Anjou pears to be exact. This pear, gouda, and almond salad will delight all the pear fans in your house. My littlest one adores pears, so naturally I wanted to make a salad for her to enjoy.
Did I mention, this salad will also please the cheese lovers in your family? It boasts two wonderful cheeses: smoked gouda and blue cheese.
Toast up some slivered almonds to give your salad some crunch. For this salad, organic spring mix has been combined with peppery watercress to give you a balance of flavors. Plus, the combination of red and green lettuce gives additional color.
Lemon slices and lemon zest have been added to give the salad a spring feel. The dried cranberries give the salad sweetness and the drizzle of crème fraîche balances it.
Feel free to serve this pear, gouda, and almond salad as a composed salad or a tossed salad. Pour on the tangy, sweet salad dressing and your salad will be complete. Serve this for a light supper with our pesto babka.
Looking for more delicious recipes to round out your meal? Try these ones!
How to Make Pesto Babka: you’ll be impressed with this surprisingly simple and flavorful loaf.
Quick and Easy Key Lime Pie: a super easy lime dessert that your family will love.
The pleasure of a 5 star review for this pear, gouda and almond salad would be greatly appreciated.
Pear, gouda, and almond salad is both a healthy and simple meal featuring red pear, gouda, blue cheese, and toasted almonds. It’s a low carb easy meal that is perfect for lunch or a light dinner. Pour the honey, olive oil, and apple cider vinaigrette over the mixed greens to give you an easy Easter salad idea.
For the Salad Dressing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- freshly squeezed lemon juice, one wedge
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups organic spring lettuce mix
- 2 cups watercress
- 7 slices smoked Gouda cheese (roughly 3 ounces)
- 2 ounces blue cheese
- 1 red Anjou pear, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons sweetened dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche, optional
Making the Salad
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat, then add the sliced almonds and stir constantly until lightly toasted. Lower the heat to medium after a couple of minutes. Once toasted, immediately place the almonds in a bowl.
- Slice the smoked Gouda cheese.
- Zest the lemon, then cut it in half. Juice one half of the lemon and combine with two cups of cool water in a medium bowl. Rinse, dry, and thinly slice the red pear, then submerge the pear slices into the lemon water for a minute to prevent the pear from browning.
- Cut the other half of the lemon in half again, then thinly slice one half if you plan on doing a composed salad. If doing a tossed salad, quarter the second half of the lemon.
Making the Salad Dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, honey, and Dijon mustard. Slowly pour in the oil and whisk until combined. Squeeze in the juice of one lemon wedge, then add a sprinkle of salt and black pepper to taste. Pour into a small glass jar with a lid. Shake well before using.
Assembling the Salad (Composed)
- Line the serving platter with green and red lettuce from the lettuce mix, then fan out the thinly sliced red pear and place on top of the red lettuce.
- On the other side of the platter, fan the Gouda cheese slices. In the middle, place the toasted almonds and the crumbled blue cheese. Lay down some watercress leaves on top of the remaining red lettuce and place 6 overlapping slices of lemon on top.
- In the last corner, place a handful of spring mix and watercress and sprinkle the dried cranberries over the top. Sprinkle lemon zest over the lettuce and a drizzle on a bit of creme fraiche.
Assembling the Salad (Tossed)
- On a cutting board, cut the sliced red pear and the gouda into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, dump the organic spring mix and the watercress. Add the rest of the ingredients except the lemon slices and toss until well combined.
- Just before serving, add the salad dressing as needed and a squeeze of fresh lemon, then toss.
- Serve immediately.
Any leftover salad dressing can be stored covered in the fridge for a couple of days.
The pleasure of a 5 star review would be greatly appreciated.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Sliced
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Composed Salad, spring salad, pears