Pea salad with bacon is an easy summer recipe that combines raw ingredients with frozen peas and pickled banana peppers. This simple low carb salad is served cold and has a creamy dressing. Serve this to your family tonight and enjoy an old fashioned Southern side dish that will convert non pea lovers.
For the Salad
- 1 cup bacon, crumbled (roughly 9 slices)
- 1 cup marble cheese (Colby-Jack), cut in bite-sized cubes
- 1 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup mild banana peppers, minced
- 2 pounds frozen peas
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from one lemon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Making the Dressing
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients until well combined. Cover and refrigerate.
Making the Salad
- Pour the frozen peas into a large mixing bowl so they can mostly thaw while you make the salad.
- In a large cast iron skillet, cook the 9 slices of bacon in two batches over medium heat. Flip each piece over with a fork. When done, drain on paper towel-lined plate. Cool, then cut into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Cut the cheese into cubes by cutting it into 1/4 slices with a sharp chef's knife. Stack three slices, then cut into sticks. Line up the sticks and cut into cubes. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut the red onion in half with a sharp knife, then remove the outer skin. Thinly slice the onion, then mince it. Set aside.
- Mince the banana peppers.
- Pour the salad dressing over the slightly thawed peas, and mix until all the peas are coated.
- Add the red onion, banana pepper, cheese, and most of the bacon (reserve some for garnish) to the peas. Stir until well combined. Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- Stir the pea salad just before serving, so all the peas are coated in the dressing. Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Transfer to a pretty serving bowl and garnish with the reserved bacon.
- Instead of using canned, use slightly frozen.
- Keep the bacon. It's flavor is important here.
- Homemade dressing will have the best taste.
- Before serving, stir, taste, and adjust the seasonings.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pea salad