Pasta e fagioli soup is an easy weeknight recipe that is a popular Italian comfort food. This simple homemade version is made with beans, Italian sausage, tomatoes, and cheese. Serve this healthy, hearty stovetop soup with pasta and rosemary focaccia for dinner tonight!
- 1 tablespoon salted butter (14g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15 ml)
- 16 ounces spicy Italian sausage (453g)
- 2 tablespoons fat rendered from the sausage (30 ml)
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced (144g)
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup white wine (118 ml)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (16g)
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with juice (793g)
- 1 Parmesan rind, cut into 16 cubes (46g)
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth (946 ml)
- 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (425g)
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (425g)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup ditalini, uncooked (130g)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (30g)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, for garnish
- Add the butter and oil to a Dutch oven set over medium high heat and heat until shimmering. Dump the Italian sausage into the Dutch oven and cook until no longer pink, breaking it into smaller pieces with a metal spatula. Drain the meat well in a colander, reserving the fat in a bowl.
- Pour two tablespoons of the rendered fat into the pot and heat over medium heat. Saute the chopped onion for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the rosemary, oregano, and thyme and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine to remove the brown fond from the pan. Add the tomato paste and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes with their juices and the chicken broth. Mix in the cannellini and kidney beans, cooked sausage, parmesan rind, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, mix in the chopped fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- While the soup is simmering, cook the pasta in salted boiling water. Undercook it by 3 minutes so it's al dente. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water, and allow to drip dry. Transfer to bowl and toss with olive oil to coat.
- Remove the soup from the heat and take out the two bay leaves. Let the soup rest for a few minutes.
- To serve, add some pasta at the bottom of each bowl then ladle the hot soup on top. Garnish with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese and a few fresh basil leaves. Serve with a crusty bread like our rosemary focaccia.
- Use the overnight or quick soak method if you want to use dried beans.
- Make this soup thick, like a stew.
- Keep this mostly beans with a little bit of pasta.
- Add the cooked pasta to individual bowls just before serving.
- This actually tastes better the second day, so feel free to make it ahead!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta e fagioli, with sausage, Olive Garden