Make ahead marinated red onions is a healthy recipe that’s also super easy. The red onions are marinated in balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and other seasonings, then roasted in the oven. This popular dish is low carb, gluten free, and has many health benefits. Just start this simple side dish the night before your next potluck, family gathering, or holiday meal.
For the Marinade
- 1 cup water (236 ml)
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar (118 ml)
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar (118 ml)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 heaping teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
For the Roasted Onions
- 4 large red onions
- 2 tablespoons salted butter (28g)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- a few grinds of black pepper
- Cut the ends off the red onions, then halve them. Keep the skins on, as it helps the onions keep their shape. Place the onions flat side down in a baking pan with sides.
- Whisk together the water, vinegars, brown sugar, and spices, and then pour over the onions. Cover with foil and allow to marinate for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Cook uncovered at 400 F for 30 minutes. Flip each onion over, put a pat of butter on top of each onion, sprinkle the rosemary and a few grinds of black pepper on top.
- Cook for 15 minutes more, then take out the pan and baste the onions with the marinade. Repeat this step two more times.
- Remove the tough outer skins, then serve warm on a pretty platter. Pour any leftover marinade from the baking pan into a small bowl and serve with the onions.
- This is best made the night before you want to cook it. The prep time is minimal, but the chilling time of 12 hours is necessary for maximum flavor.
Keywords: soak, vinegar