This Dutch spice cake, called ontbijtkoek, might be your family’s new favorite dessert! Have a taste of Holland with this rye loaf cake that tastes like gingerbread. This recipe is quick and easy to make.
- 1 cup rye flour (120g)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (120g)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (100g)
- 1/4 cup molasses (75g)
- 1/2 cup honey (168g)
- 1 cup whole milk (240 ml)
- Preheat the oven to 300 F and butter a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, spices, and salt until combined.
- Add the sugar, molasses, honey, and milk and whisk the batter until it’s well blended.
- Immediately pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 300 F for 55 minutes. The ontbijtkoek is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then run a knife around the edge and flip it onto a wire cooling rack. Turn the ontbijtkoek right side up and let it cool for another 50 minutes.
- Slice and serve with butter and a cup of hot coffee.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Dutch
Keywords: recipe, pronunciation, Dutch