A few days ago, we were looking for a patriotic veggie tray to take to a party. We wanted the tray to have variety to appeal to a range of ages and tastes, and also have enough to feed a larger crowd. We were inspired by a photo of an American flag veggie tray on the blog Living Locurto, and did our own twist by cutting out the centers of the cucumbers. The dill dip is our own recipe that we have tweaked over the years.
A simple recipe for a July 4th veggie tray that will wow your guests.
For the Veggie Tray
- 2 red Bell peppers
- 2 1/2 cucumbers
- 1/3 head cauliflower
- 2 bunches radishes
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
For the Dill Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- Blue food coloring (optional)
Instructions for the Veggie Tray
- To prep the vegetables, cut the Bell peppers into strips. Quarter the radishes. Cut the cauliflower into medium florets. Peel and slice the cucumbers. Using a miniature star cookie cutter, cut out the seeds from the cucumbers. Save the stars for garnishing the dip.
- Place a square bowl in the upper left corner of the tray. This will hold the dip later and make it easier to assemble the tray.
- To assemble the tray, lay the peppers in a 2 1/2-inch strip along the bottom of the tray. Then, put down the cauliflower florets in another stripe. At the top of the tray, put down the radishes, red side up. Layer the cucumbers in a row beneath the radishes. Finally, put the tomatoes between the cucumbers and cauliflower.
Instructions for the Dill Dip
- For the dill dip, whisk together all ingredients except the food coloring until well combined.
- If desired, add blue food coloring.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Pour into a square dish and garnish with reserved cucumber stars.
- Category: Appetizers