No bake chocolate oatmeal cookies, also known as preacher cookies, are a fun dessert made with old fashioned oats, cocoa powder, and other pantry ingredients. These fudgy treats are an easy, gluten free dessert that kids love!
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar (346g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (20g)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (118 ml)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed (115g)
- 1/2 cup all-natural creamy peanut butter (128g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 to 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (160-240g)
- Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or wax paper. Measure out all the ingredients.
- Whisk together the granulated sugar and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan until blended. Add the milk and butter and set over medium high heat, stirring constantly until all the butter has melted and it’s evenly mixed.
- Bring the fudge mixture up to a full boil, keeping the pot uncovered. Insert a candy thermometer and let the mixture cook until it reaches 230 F, stirring frequently, then immediately take it off the heat.
- Stir in the peanut butter, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt until thoroughly mixed, then gradually add enough oats to get a thick and fudgy, but not dry, consistency.
- Drop the mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets. Allow them to harden at room temperature, about 35 minutes to 1 hour, then serve. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Guarantee a good batch by using a digital thermometer to see if the fudge mixture is cooked to 230 F. Otherwise, the cookies may be too gooey or too dry.
- Want a different texture? Use old-fashioned rolled oats for a chewier texture or quick oats for a smoother texture.
- Substitute the peanut butter with almond butter, Nutella, or homemade sunflower seed butter.
- Failed batch? Freeze gooey ones, and crumble up dry ones and sprinkle on ice cream.
- Store the cookies at room temperature for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: no bake cookies, chocolate oatmeal cookies, peanut butter