Craving a bowl of simple homemade mushroom soup? This easy recipe is a classic comfort food you can serve your family on meatless Monday. It’s best made with cream, but it’s super flexible if you need it to be dairy free. Packed with two kinds of mushrooms, onions, garlic, thyme and lemon, it will soon be a main dish favorite in your home.
For the Soup
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms, sliced and chopped
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, sliced and chopped
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
For the Croutons
- 3 cups french bread, cubed
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- sprinkle of paprika
For the Garnish
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup sautéed mushrooms (optional)
Making the Soup
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped onion to the mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Dump in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour, salt, pepper, fresh thyme, and a pinch of cayenne. Stir constantly for 2 minutes to cook the flour for the roux.
- Deglaze the Dutch oven by pouring in the white wine and scraping the bottom of the pan to release the little browned bits; this will provide additional flavor.
- Pour in the chicken stock and add the bay leaves. Cover and bring to a boil. When it just begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium low, uncover the pot, and let the soup simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and take out the bay leaves. Add the heavy cream, lemon juice, and parsley and stir until well combined.
Making the Croutons & Serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Toss the cubed bread with enough olive oil to coat.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking tray and sprinkle the grated Parmesan and paprika on top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Ladle the warm mushroom soup into individual bowls and garnish with homemade croutons and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this simple homemade mushroom soup would be greatly appreciated.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: simple mushroom soup recipe, homemade mushroom soup