We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Mulled apple cider is definitely my favorite autumn beverage! The flavor and aroma of the allspice, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger are a tasteful announcement of fall’s arrival. Since it’s so popular with my family, we serve it at our house for Thanksgiving. It’s so easy to make, and mulls away by itself in a crock pot while you’re busy in the kitchen. A mug of warm cider is a convenient source of coziness while you’re cooking!
Back in January, my sisters had a combined birthday party since their birthdays are only two weeks apart. It was a Laura Ingalls Wilder themed party, and we had an old-fashioned spread including baked ham, mashed potatoes, molasses cookies, and this mulled apple cider. The spicy fragrance from the cider was so strong that one of our guests said that her clothes smelled like cinnamon when she came home that evening! ☺ I’m glad that our guests enjoyed the taste and smell of the cider!
This easy beverage is not only a remarkable air freshener, but it also is a delightful drink to serve at a dinner party. It’s easy to make a large batch, and keep warm in the crock pot. If there are leftovers, just refrigerate them and reheat later. It tastes good cold, too, but I really prefer it warm. 🙂
Why not give it a go this Thanksgiving? Or anytime this autumn? Or even in the summer? It’s worth it!Print
Mulled apple cider is an aromatic autumn beverage that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
For the Cider
- 1 gallon unfiltered apple cider
- 3 cups filtered water
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 slices fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 3 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 navel orange, sliced
For the Garnish
- 1 navel orange, sliced
- Cinnamon sticks
- Pour the apple cider and filtered water into a large crock pot, cover, and turn to high heat.
- Peel a small piece of ginger with a spoon and cut into three small slices.
- Prepare the spice sachet by cutting a square of cheesecloth and placing the ginger, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg inside. Gather up the edges and tie with string to secure.
- Slice the orange crosswise in circular slices.
- Stir in the brown sugar until it’s dissolved, then add the spice sachet, cinnamon sticks, and orange slices.
- Let the cider mull for 1 hour on high heat, then turn to low for another 4 hours. Remove the spice sachet and cinnamon sticks after 3 hours of cooking. Serve warm and garnish with cinnamon sticks and fresh slices of orange.
- Before serving the cider, you can replace the orange slices with new ones for a fresher appearance. Feel free to eat the old slices, though, as they have a wonderful spiced cider flavor!
- If you are in a hurry and have the space on your stove top, you can make the apple cider in a large pot instead of a crockpot. Taste test it after the first hour. Keep test tasting it and letting your pot simmer, until it’s the way you like it, then take the spice sachet out.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Crockpot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hot mulled cider recipe, old fashioned mulled cider recipe