Craving a freshly baked brownie, but don't want to make a whole pan? An individual mug brownie is the answer! This delicious vegan version takes basic pantry ingredients, and can be made in just a few minutes.
This mug brownie only takes a few basic ingredients. Let's discuss each one!
- All-purpose flour: stabilizes the mixture and binds the ingredients together.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: adds the chocolate flavor and color, and helps stabilize the brownie.
- Sugar: sweetens the brownie and affects the texture.
- Baking Powder: makes the brownie rise.
- Salt: improves the flavor and balances the sweetness.
- Almond Milk: adds moisture and keeps this dessert vegan.
- Oil: adds moisture and richness.
- Vanilla Extract: adds a depth of flavor.
- Chopped Walnuts: this adds a hint of crunch and a nutty flavor. Feel free to omit these if you like.
Can you make a mug brownie in the oven?
I've never baked a mug brownie in the oven, but feel free to try. I'd recommend baking it at 350 F for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. Be sure to use an oven-safe mug and oven mitts when removing the mug from the oven.
How many calories are in a mug brownie?
One full mug brownie contains 535 calories, 76g of carbs, and 6g of fiber. If this recipe makes too much for you to eat in one sitting, you can always share the brownie with a family member, next door neighbor, or save the rest for later. Get the full nutrition facts at the bottom of the recipe card below.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this ahead of time, but just realize that the brownie tastes the best when it's still warm so try to eat it within 20 minutes of making it.
How do I store leftovers?
Let the brownie cool completely, then cover the mug with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave until warmed.
Can I freeze a mug brownie?
Yes, technically you can freeze a mug brownie. Scoop the cooked and cooled brownie from the mug, seal inside of a zip-top freezer bag, and freeze for up to 1 month.
How to Make
Gather the ingredients. You'll need flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt, oil, almond milk, vanilla extract, and chopped walnuts.
Mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a mug until well blended.
Add the milk, oil, and vanilla.
Mix the brownie batter thoroughly, making sure to get into the corners of the mug so there's no streaks of flour.
Gently stir in the chopped walnuts.
Microwave the mug brownie on high for 1 minute. Let it cool for a few minutes, so it doesn't burn your mouth, before enjoying. Share the chocolate brownie goodness with someone in your house. They will be glad you did.
- Gluten Free: use your favorite measure-for-measure gluten free flour (affiliate) in place of the all-purpose.
- Oil Free: replace the oil with 1 tablespoon of unsweetened applesauce.
- Nut Free: simply omit the chopped walnuts from the brownie.
- Mocha: add ½ to 1 teaspoon of espresso powder to the dry ingredients to add a subtle coffee flavor.
- A la Mode: top the warm brownie with a scoop of vegan ice cream.
- Don't want this to be vegan? Use melted butter instead of oil, and whole milk instead of almond milk.
- Want more chocolate? Sprinkle vegan chocolate chips (affiliate) on top.
- Be sure to use all-natural, unsweetened cocoa powder and not Dutch processed for this recipe.
- Don't have a mug on hand? Use a microwave-safe bowl or ramekin.
- Make sure not to overcook the brownie, or it will be tough.
- If you want a chocolate lava cake twist, undercook the brownie by 10 seconds.
Other Amazing Mug Cakes
- Cinnamon Roll in a Mug
- Lemon Blueberry Mug Cake
- Snickerdoodle Mug Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug
Other Super Easy Desserts
If you liked this recipe and found it helpful, give it some love by sharing!
The pleasure of a 5-star review would be greatly appreciated!Print
This single serve vegan mug brownie is an amazing microwave dessert that is super quick to make! This easy treat has no egg and a wonderful fudgy texture.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (18g)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (15g)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (51g)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon fine salt
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (45 ml)
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped (16g)
- Dump the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large mug (at least 12 ounces). Stir until well blended.
- Add the almond milk, olive oil, and vanilla extract and stir until the brownie batter is well combined. Be sure to mix right into the corners of the mug so there are no lumps of flour.
- Gently stir the chopped walnuts into the brownie batter.
- Microwave the mug brownie on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Let the mug brownie cool for 5 minutes before enjoying.
- The most important step is ensuring that the brownie batter is well mixed. There should not be any lumps or streaks of flour in the batter.
- Be careful not to overcook the brownie, as that will make it tough and unappetizing.
- For a gooey texture, undercook the brownie by 10 seconds. It will be cooked on top, but a have a gooey layer on the bottom kind of like a chocolate lava cake.
- Don't have a large mug on hand? Use a small microwave safe bowl or a larger ramekin instead.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan mug brownie, recipe