How to make a shamrock shake is an easy recipe that is perfect for kids. This homemade version of McDonald’s famous St. Patrick’s Day shake is a no bake dessert full of fresh mint, Oreo cookies and vanilla ice cream. This simple, tasty DIY shake is made for two and is so refreshing in the spring or a hot summer’s day.
For the Milkshake
- 8 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 10 mint Oreo cookies, filling only
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 fresh or frozen banana (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 large mint leaves, minced
- green gel food coloring
For the Garnish
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (236 ml)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- drizzle of chocolate syrup
- sprinkle of mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 maraschino cherries with a stem
Making the Milkshake
- Wash and pat dry the fresh mint. Stack the leaves, roll them up, and slice into ribbons; then mince into smaller pieces.
- Remove the filling from 10 Oreo cookies, and break the filling into smaller pieces. (Keep the Oreo cookies for another use or break them up into small pieces to use as a topping.)
- Put 8 scoops of vanilla ice cream, the Oreo filling, and 1/2 cup whole milk in the blender. Slice up half a banana and put it on top of the Oreos. (This step is optional; it makes the shake naturally sweeter.) Add the vanilla, chopped mint leaves, and the green food coloring. Blend until the desired color and thickness. If needed, add the extra 1/4 cup of milk.
- Pour the milkshake into two tall glasses.
Garnishing the Milkshake
- Pour the cream and sugar into a bowl and whip to stiff peaks with an electric mixer. Put the whipped cream in a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe the whipped cream slowly in concentric circles on top of the shake.
- Top with the chocolate syrup, mini chocolate chips, and a maraschino cherry. Serve immediately or put in the freezer for a few minutes so it doesn't melt.
- If you want the shakes stay thicker and colder longer, chill the glasses ahead of time in the freezer.
- Use a little less milk for a thicker shake.
- Increase your topping options. Try mini chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, cherries with a stem, whipped cream, green or chocolate sprinkles, or crushed Oreos.
- The milkshakes can be placed in the freezer for up to 30 minutes if you want to make this ahead.
- Only add the green filling to the shake as the Oreo cookie will give the shake a brownish tint.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: St. Patrick's Day, milkshakes