This easy recipe for traditional mincemeat tarts will have you coming back for a second one! Add fruit to store bought mincemeat to make these Christmas treats even tastier.
- 2 2/3 cups store-bought mincemeat (822g)
- 1 tablespoon clementine zest
- 1 1/2 cups clementines, diced (235g)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced (100g)
- 1 1/2 cups Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced (190g)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound 14 ounces flaky shortcrust pastry (850g)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar (25g)
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted (15g)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Pour the store-bought mincemeat into a large mixing bowl. Add the diced apple, dried apricot, diced orange segments, lemon and orange zest, and the nutmeg. Gently stir until well mixed.
- Roll the pastry out thinly on a lightly floured surface, then use a circular 3 1/2-inch cutter to cut out pastry circles. Line two muffin pans with the pastry, making sure to get it into the corners of the pan.
- Re-roll the scraps and cut out 15 stars with a cookie cutter to act as a lid for half of the tarts. Leave the other half plain, if desired.
- Fill each tart 3/4 full. Top each one with a pastry star, pressing down its corners to seal it to the tart. Sprinkle the stars with caster sugar.
- Bake the tarts for about 20 minutes at 400 F. The filling should be bubbling, and the pastry should be a pale golden brown around the edges. If you're re-using a muffin pan to bake more tarts, let it cool before putting the next batch of pastry in the pan.
- Let the tarts cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then run a knife around the edges of each tart and carefully pop them out of the pan.
- Dust the star tarts with icing sugar, then serve.
- Want the best flavor? Add fresh oranges and apple to store-bought mincemeat, or make your own.
- Roll the pastry a little less than 1/8 inch thick. If the pastry is too thin, the tarts will fall apart; if it is too thick, the tarts will be dry.
- Fill each one 3/4 full to prevent overflowing in the oven.
- Putting pastry on top of the tarts? Sprinkle with caster sugar before baking and with icing sugar after they've cooled to add a touch of sweetness.
- Freeze leftovers in a freezer zip-top bag for up to 3 months.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: english mincemeat tarts, mince pies, Christmas mince pie recipe