Millionaire’s shortbread is a delish homemade dessert that’s easy to make with just a few ingredients. Buttery, crumbly shortbread topped with a condensed milk caramel layer and salted chocolate. It tastes almost like a Twix bar!
For the Shortbread Base
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (300g)
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, chilled and cubed (200g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g)
For the Caramel
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (397g)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed (50g)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or dark corn syrup
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter (100g)
For the Chocolate Topping
- 7 ounces milk chocolate chips (200g)
- 1/2 teaspoon flaked salt
Making the Shortbread Base (20 minutes + 30 minutes baking)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly butter an 8 by 8-inch cake pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Pour the flour and butter into a mixing bowl. Pinch the cold cubes of butter to blend the butter and flour. Continue this process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and keep mixing until a dough forms.
- Pack the shortbread into the prepared pan and bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes, until the shortbread is golden brown on top. Let it cool on a wire rack.
Making the Caramel (20 minutes + setting time)
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, golden syrup or corn syrup, and butter into a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk until the butter has melted, then bring the mixture to a boil. Turn down to low heat and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture has darkened to a caramel color and has thickened considerably.
- Spread the caramel over the shortbread with an angled spatula, then leave to set until cooled and hardened, about 45 minutes.
Making the Chocolate Topping (15 minutes + setting time)
- Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer. Pour the chocolate chips into a metal bowl, then set the bowl on top of the saucepan, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir the chocolate constantly until it’s melted, then immediately remove it from the steam.
- Stir the chocolate for a couple of minutes until it’s thickened, then pour it over the caramel layer and smooth with an angled spatula. Sprinkle the flaked salt on top and leave to set completely, about 1-2 hours. Do not refrigerate.
- Cut the millionaire’s shortbread into individual pieces with a sharp knife and serve.
Keywords: bars, recipe