Mediterranean quinoa salad is a delightful way to get your children to eat more quinoa. 👍 This salad features fresh cucumber, minced red onion, sliced black olives, diced tomatoes, and chick peas. A small glug of olive oil will help keep the salad moist. Season it with freshly squeezed lemon juice, fresh chopped cilantro, and oregano. Top this salad with a generous sprinkling of feta cheese and cilantro. It tastes best cold, so plan to make it ahead of time.
Make this super easy salad anytime of the year. It makes a wonderful side dish or double it up and have it as a light main course for lunch. Serve it with a slice of our freshly baked hearty multigrain bread.
Mediterranean quinoa salad is a delightful combination of quinoa, cucumber, red onion, tomatoes, black olives, chick peas, feta cheese, and spices. Serve chilled for a light lunch or dinner.
- 1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/8 red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 2/3 cup black olives, sliced and drained
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lemon, seeds removed
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Rinse the quinoa well before cooking to help remove the bitter coating.
- Bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil, then pour the quinoa. Return to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and place in a medium bowl.
- Peel the cucumber and remove the seeds, then dice it. Mince the red onion.
- Add the cucumber, onion, tomatoes, black olives, chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, and cilantro to the quinoa. Mix well to combine.
- If time allows, chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, crumble up some feta cheese and stir it into the salad.
- This salad tastes really good served cold.
- You can make the quinoa ahead of time to speed up the prep time.