Skip the drive through, and learn how to make a healthy copycat version of Chick-fil-A's market salad. The homemade zesty apple cider dressing recipe and the chicken marinade will leave you wondering why you didn't try this delicious recipe sooner.
For the Chicken and Marinade
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (240 ml)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (80 ml)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Zesty Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (45 ml)
- 3 tablespoons honey (45 ml)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (22 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (120 ml)
For the Market Salad
- 2 chicken breasts, marinated, cooked, and thinly sliced
- 8 cups spring mix
- 1/4 cup julienned carrot (30g)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red cabbage (17g)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 12 strawberries, hulled and quartered (202g)
- 1 cup Granny Smith apple, diced (120g)
- 1 cup red Gala apple, diced (120g)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup glazed pecans (67g)
- 1/2 cup granola
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds (13g)
- 1 tablespoon raisins (12g)
- 1 tablespoon craisins (14g)
- 3/4 cup zesty apple cider vinaigrette
Chicken Marinade (Makes 1 1/4 cups)
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels, cover in plastic wrap, and place on a cutting board. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to flatten each chicken breast one at a time, then transfer them to a gallon size zip-top bag.
- Put all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and whisk them together. Pour it into the zip-top bag so the chicken is fully covered. Squish the marinade around in the bag so the chicken is coated.
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of six hours or overnight.
- Let the chicken rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking. Remove the chicken from the zip-top bag and place on a plate. Blot off the extra marinade with a paper towel, then discard the marinade and bag.
- In a 10 inch cast iron skillet, heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. (CFA uses peanut oil instead.) Place one chicken breast in the skillet, reduce the temperature to medium after a minute, and cook for a total of 5 minutes. Flip once and cook the other side. Cook until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 F. Repeat with the other chicken breast.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on a plate. Tent with foil or wax paper and let the meat rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the meat has cooled, slice thinly against the grain.
Zesty Apple Cider Vinaigrette (Makes 3/4 cup)
- Put all the ingredients except the olive oil in a small bowl and whisk.
- Slowly add the oil while whisking constantly.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a bit more honey, lime juice, or black pepper as desired.
- Pour into a salad dressing container or small mason jar and store covered in the fridge.
Market Salad (Makes 10 cups)
- Place 2 cups of spring mix on each plate. Sprinkle on the carrots and the red cabbage.
- Add the fresh fruit next (the green and red apples, blueberries, and strawberries).
- Add the dried fruits (raisins and craisins), the nuts (sliced almonds and candied pecans), and the granola.
- Sprinkle on the crumbled blue cheese and place strips of chicken breasts on top of the salad.
- When ready to eat, drizzle on the zesty apple cider vinaigrette. Enjoy immediately.
- For the best flavor, marinate the chicken for at least 6 hours.
- Let the chicken cook a bit longer before flipping if it's sticking.
- Allow the cooked chicken to cool before slicing to get it to slice thinly.
- Keep the ingredients separate until you want to eat it for maximum freshness.
- For a customized salad, let guests put on their own toppings.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chick fil a, salad dressing, copycat