Low carb layered salad for a crowd is a healthy recipe to make ahead for dinner parties and BBQ’s this summer. Seven layers of fresh, crunchy vegetables are served along with cold egg wedges, chopped bacon, and cheese to make a showstopping salad that is sure to impress. Top it off with this easy dressing that tastes amazing and can be whipped up quickly.
For the Salad
- 3 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 5 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, finely grated
- 6 slices of English cucumber cut in half
- 8 cups arugula
- 4 cups spinach and kale blend
- 1 1/2 pounds grape tomatoes
- 3 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup green peas, frozen or fresh
- 1/3 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated (30g)
For the dressing
- 1 cup mayo (I used Duke's)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- sprinkle salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 lemon, quartered (optional)
Prepping the Salad Ingredients
- Boil the eggs for 9 minutes, then immediately put in an ice bath until the eggs are completely cool. Peel them, then rinse to remove any shell fragments. Pat dry with paper towel and cut in quarters.
- Cook the bacon in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until crispy, turning over with a fork when halfway done. Blot off excess grease with a paper towel. Let cool, then cut into 1/4 inch pieces and place in a small bowl.
- While the eggs and bacon are cooking, peel and finely grate the carrots. Rinse and slice the cucumbers and radishes. Grate the extra sharp cheddar and place in a small bowl.
Assembling the Salad
- Get out a 9-inch glass trifle bowl or large glass bowl and make sure it is really clean, with no water spots on it. This will make for a nicer presentation.
- Put 4 cups of arugula in the bottom of the bowl, then place the grated carrot around the edge of the bowl, leaving the center empty.
- Carefully arrange the halved cucumber slices around the edge of the bowl with the cut side facing down.
- Fill in the center with 4 cups of mixed fresh spinach and kale and arrange some of the greens over the carrots and cucumbers.
- Arrange the grape tomatoes around the perimeter of the bowl, leaving room in the center. Fill in the hole with 4 cups of arugula and arrange some of the lettuce over the grape tomatoes.
- Carefully arrange the quartered egg wedges around the edge of the bowl. Place radish slices of similar size beside the egg wedges.
- Pour the green peas in the center of the bowl on top of the arugula, then sprinkle crumbled bacon and cheese on top of the green peas. Serve immediately or covered with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Making the Dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, buttermilk and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk in the spices; then adjust seasonings to taste. If you are not using Duke's mayo, you may want to squeeze some fresh lemon juice to taste.
- Pour into a pretty container. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.
- Use a trifle bowl to assemble the ingredients.
- Let the guests help themselves to more bacon and cheese by setting these ingredients out in small bowls.
- Pour the dressing on just before serving.
- If you need to make this the night before, no problem.
- You'll get 2 cups of dressing and should keep in a mason jar for up to 3 days.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: layered salad, low carb salad recipe, homemade salad dressing