Low carb Italian sausage, peppers, and onions is a healthy one hour dinner recipe that will quickly be one of your family’s favorite comfort foods. Cook it in a skillet or on a sheet pan—either way it's an easy meal that combines sweet and mild sausage with yellow, orange, and red peppers. It's simple and delicious!
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage (453g)
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage (453g)
- 5 tablespoons salted butter (72g)
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium sweet red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium sweet yellow bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium sweet orange bell peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (30 ml)
- sprinkle of salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prick each sausage link with a fork in three different spots to let the steam escape. Place on a cookie sheet or a 9x13-inch baking pan. Cook for 50 minutes uncovered.
- While the sausage cooks, wash and slice the peppers. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan and cook the peppers, stirring occasionally.
- While the peppers cook, slice the onion. In a medium saucepan, melt two tablespoons of butter. Saute the onion for a few minutes. Mince the garlic, then add it to the onions. Cook until fragrant.
- Put the peppers, onion, and garlic in a large bowl. While the vegetables are still warm, add the white wine vinegar and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Rinse and chop the fresh rosemary for extra flavor and for a garnish.
- After 50 minutes, remove the sausage from the oven. Slice each sausage link on the diagonal into 5 pieces. Add to the bowl of cooked peppers and onions. Add the fresh rosemary and stir. Serve warm.
Sheet Pan Method
- Slice the sausage, peppers, and onions, and peel the garlic cloves.
- Place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle the spices on top, and toss to combine.
- Bake at 400 F for 40 minutes, or until the sausage is no longer pink inside. Stir halfway through cooking.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss with white wine vinegar and garnish with fresh rosemary.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil to a large skillet set over medium high heat.
- Add sausages and brown on both sides, but not entirely cooked through. Remove from heat, let cool, and slice on the bias.
- In the same skillet, cook the onions, peppers, and minced garlic in the rendered fat or oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Return sausage to pan, cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 15 minutes or until sausage is done.
- Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle on white wine vinegar and garnish with fresh rosemary.
Foil Pack Method
This option is great if you are having a picnic or camping.
- Heat a gas grill to high and grill the sausages.
- Put the cooked sausage on top of a large piece of foil. Add sliced peppers, onions, and peeled smashed garlic cloves, then drizzle oil and spices on top.
- Fold packets to seal, then grill for 13 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- To finish, drizzle on white wine vinegar, and garnish with chopped rosemary.
- Leftovers can be stored covered in the fridge for 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To make this easier to cut, slice the sausage when it's slightly frozen.
- Use white or red cooking wine or chicken broth to deglaze the skillet for extra flavor.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: skillet, roasted