Lentil stew with sausage is an easy, healthy recipe you can make for your family. Stovetop, crock pot, and make ahead freezer instructions are included. Need this to be vegan or vegetarian? We've got you covered. This simple, flavorful recipe is also perfect for weight loss and clean eating goals.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (10 ml)
- 1 1/4 cup onion, chopped (211g)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped (3 medium carrots; 140g)
- 1 cup celery, chopped (3 medium stalks; 160g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups beef broth (944 ml)
- 14 ounces kielbasa sausage, cut into bite-size pieces (396g)
- 1 cup green or brown lentils (212g)
- 28 ounces canned petite diced tomatoes (793g)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (15 ml)
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat up the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat, then saute the onion, carrots and celery for 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Deglaze the pan by pouring in 1 cup of beef broth. Scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add the beef broth, lentils, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, fresh oregano, bay leaf and dried spices. Stir until well combined.
- Cover and bring the soup mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Add the kielbasa sausage. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, lemon juice or slices, Greek yogurt, or a drizzle of olive oil.
Crock Pot Instructions
- Follow step 1 for stovetop instructions. This step is optional, but it does add a lot more flavor.
- Dump everything in the crock pot and stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. If you want to add 3 cups of kale, now is the time. If you want your lentil stew to be a bit tangy, add a splash of red wine vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice at the very end of cooking.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, lemon slices, Parmesan cheese shards, Greek yogurt, or a drizzle of olive oil.
Freezer Meal Instructions
- Do all the prep work. Cut up the vegetables and kielbasa sausage, then measure out the spices.
- Place all the uncooked ingredients, except the broth, in a freezer friendly glass container with a plastic lid. Label the lentil stew and date it the day it was assembled. If you want, tape the crock pot instructions to the plastic lid, or note it was from Savor the Flavour to look up on your smart phone.
- Freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to use thaw overnight in the fridge or sit in a 9x13-inch pan filled with hot water. This should loosen the uncooked ingredients from the container.
- Follow the instructions for making in the crock pot; just skip step 1 (sauteing the veggies).
- Use brown or green; red is too mushy.
- Heat a little olive oil in the soup pot and saute the kielbasa for 10 minutes by itself before cooking the veggies for additional flavor.
- If you need to use a slow cooker, saute veggies first, then add everything to the slow cooker. Cook on low 7 to 8 hours.
- Freeze everything uncooked, except the broth, for up to 2 months. Thaw in fridge or under hot water, then cook in crock pot for a great tasting freezer meal.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lentil soup, lentil sausage stew