Leftover turkey and sweet potato pasties are a savory comfort food recipe that uses up leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas in a delicious way. Use buttery puff pastry, fresh cranberries, and healthy veggies to make these beautiful baked hand pies. Why not try it for dinner tonight?
For the Pastry
- 1.3 lb rough puff pastry or puff pastry (600g)
- 1 large egg
For the Meat and Vegetables
- 3/4 cup sweet potatoes, peeled and finely diced (82g)
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, chopped (50g)
- 1/4 cup garlic, roughly chopped (38g)
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries (72g)
- 2 cups shredded turkey (180g)
For the Gravy (or use 1 cup leftover gravy)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour (37g)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter (28g)
- 1 1/4 cup turkey or chicken stock (295 ml)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon salted butter (14g)
Preparing the Vegetables & Turkey (45 min)
- Peel and finely dice the sweet potatoes, then chop the onion and garlic. Rinse the cranberries and discard any bad ones. Chop the turkey into bite-size pieces and set aside.
Making the Gravy (15 min)
- There’s no need to make a gravy if you have 1 cup (240 ml) of leftover turkey gravy. Simply mix the meat with the gravy as in step 4 below.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until melted and bubbling. Add the flour and whisk continuously for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually pour in the turkey stock, whisking continuously, then bring to a boil. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook the gravy for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until it has thickened.
- Season with the salt, pepper, and herbs, then stir in a pat of butter. Mix the chopped turkey into the gravy.
Assembling the Pasties (45 min + 10 min chilling + 20 min baking)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the chilled rough puff pastry to 1/8 inch thick, then cut out six 6 1/2 inch circles from the pastry. Stack the scraps and re-roll them as needed.
- To assemble each pasty, place a spoonful of the gravy mixture in the middle of the circle. Push 4-5 sweet potato cubes, 4-5 cranberries, and a sprinkle of onion and garlic on top. Be careful not to overfill.
- Brush half of the pastry edge with beaten egg, then fold over the top. Press the seam together gently and crimp with a fork to seal. Transfer to the prepared cookie sheet, and repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining pastry.
- Brush all of the pasties with beaten egg, poke two vent holes in each one, and chill for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Bake at 400 F for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry has puffed and is a rich golden brown.
- Transfer the pasties to a wire rack and let them cool for 20-30 minutes before eating.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for these turkey and sweet potato pasties would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: leftover, recipe